Black f1  GUY1 wrote 28 days ago

Hi
how much warfarin needed to bind X mcg of vitamin K

thanks
guy

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 16 days ago

Thought you may find this of interest-
“Experts now advise a reasonably constant dietary intake of vitamin K that meets current dietary recommendations (90 to 120 μg/day) for patients taking vitamin K antagonists like warfarin (9). Finally, because of the high variability in patients' response to vitamin K antagonists, it has been suggested that daily supplementation of low-dose phylloquinone may improve the stability of anticoagulation therapy. Yet, several meta-analyses recently highlighted the lack of sufficient evidence to support this option for those taking warfarin“

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 24 days ago

What I know in laymans terms is warfarin blocks the P450 pathway, which is the route vitK is absorbed by your liver. So it blocks your liver from being able to use as much vitK to produce several clotting factors in your blood. Everyone is different and metabolises warfarin at a different rate, so thats why you hear of everyone on different doses. Some people may need a higher dose of warfarin to be in range and have a low vitK intake whereas others will be on a low dose with a moderate vitK intake, there really is no one size fits all. I’m currently taking 10.5mg daily, take 100mcg a day vitK1 and 45mcg vitK2 supplements and my INR was 2.1 on Friday. I fully self manage my dosing and test at home with a coaguchek xs.

Black f1  GUY1 - (49) - posted 18 days ago

Thanks for the reply,
true - warfarin/ vitamin K ratio probably has a range
why do you take vit k supplement?
to stabilize inr?
is it worth the extra warfarin

Reply to GUY1

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 17 days ago

Hi, when I started taking 100mcg a day vit k I did not see any change in my INR, so the amount of warfarin I need to take I put down to my metabolism. I started taking vit k to see if it would stabilse it and it seems to have somewhat. If you eat no vit k one day and then vit k the next day the supplement evens this out. Ive continued taking vit k1 and k2 along with d3 now as I have learnt my mitral valve is calcifying and I am genetically predisposed to calcifying my arteries, and k2 and d3 may prevent this.

Black f1  GUY1 - (49) - posted 11 days ago

calcification is a major concern for me as well, but not clear about thee supplements protocol.. red about vit d3 causing rapid calcification

another point of intervention might be food (avoid fat and sugar together, for some people) - tried the Coldwell diet - low-fat vegan, seems to work but risky)

yet another approach is calcium chelation (tried oral EDTA for a while, also vit C)

Reply to GUY1

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 10 days ago

Yes theres plenty of information that contradicts D3 both ways, I take 45 mcg daily but Ive seen supplements 5x that dosage, I recall reading D3 helps put the calcium in your bones rather than your arteries, I think the K2 synergy with the D3 is important.
I think that genetics are the real curse :-)

Polar bear family 2  JGRose - - posted 26 days ago

it depends on how much Vitamin K you intake in that week and and what your target inr is the dosage gets adjusted if its out of target range

Reply to JGRose

Black f1  GUY1 - (49) - posted 26 days ago

thanks,
if I got it correctly, warfarin act by reducing vit K level, so there probably is some ratio to this process
e.g I took a capsule of 100 mcg of vit K, what amount of warfarin needed to cancel the effect of the capsule on my INR

Reply to GUY1

Polar bear family 2  JGRose - - posted 26 days ago

ok I have never taken the vitamin kill Pills my inr levels are up and down week to week

Reply to JGRose