Polar bear family 2  Christine Arnott wrote over 1 year ago

I had a mitral valve replacement October 2015. I have had problems getting my INR Level to the mid 2's, but this week was at 2.8 which is excellent for me. However I now have started to have red/black spots appearing on my arms and hands. They tend to be like a small blood blister in the middle and then flatten out into a circle around them. Also have had lots of problems with heat, passed out once this week. Can anyone help me with my spots, and also is it common for this to happen, and does the Plavix have an influence on all this as well.

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted over 1 year ago

How much Plavix are you on? Y was your valve replaced?

Polar bear family 2  Christine Arnott - (36) - posted over 1 year ago

I am on 75mg Plavix and the valve was replaced because of sever mitral regurgitation. I actually had a new procedure, a Transcathter replacement which is still in trial stages. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02428010 I am the first in my country to have this particular valve, Australia, and there are only about 8 of us in the world. I was not able to have the open heart surgery or a transplant so this was offered to me as a viable alternative. I am very happy about it, the valve is working brilliantly but I am having issues with the Warfarin and Plavix. I did have an episode of TIA's and it was at that time when they put me on the Plavix and upped the warfarin. I have had heart disease (cardiomyopathy) for 16 years, but got septicemia in 2014 from a botched gall bladder operation and ended up with the septicemia which severly damaged my already damaged heart.

Reply to Christine Arnott

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted over 1 year ago

Those are powerful anti coagulants. I would ask the people doing your study or a hematologist. Let us know what happens, good luck.

Polar bear family 2  Christine Arnott - (36) - posted over 1 year ago

Thanks Cindy, I am getting a FBE blood test done, I just hope that all is fine or not a dangerous situation. I really don't want to mess with this as I know I am susceptible to strokes and this level of meds makes me feel safe. But anyway, will know before too long where I stand.

Reply to Christine Arnott

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted 12 months ago

So what did they find? It's a cliff hanger!

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted over 1 year ago

What does FBE stand for? I am only taking Coumadin but would like to switch to Plavix. My dose is 12.5 mg daily. I can't stand restricting my leafy veggie intake, esp with summer coming.

Polar bear family 2  Christine Arnott - (36) - posted 12 months ago

FBE, full blood examination.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you Cindy, but I only just got the notification of your response today.

I am off the Plavix and back on Aspirin. They are anti-platelet drugs, whereas Coumadin is an anticoagulant. Used for very different reasons. I am still taking Coumadin but have been all over the place still. However I run on the high side, INR 4 and have found out that this is OK. I have learned that an INR below 2 is risky, between 2 & 4.5 is ok, and then above 4.5 it starts to get risky again. I have had two TIA's when my INR has been below 2, so I am content to be on the high side. Get my 12 month check up for my valve this month, so will be interesting to see if my overall heart has benefited from the valve replacement. The new valve is working brilliantly, but it is like a car engine, you can replace one part and it will work ok, but if the rest of it is not working well it really doesn't make much difference.

Reply to Christine Arnott

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted 12 months ago

Ps, I had open heart surgery with a mitral valve "repair" Feb 2015. They dischgd me without anti coags and I had a stroke 16 h later. I had paralysis of my left side and wasn't able to walk, etc Luckily I had good insurance and good self motivation. I rec'd a lot of occupational and physical therapy and learned to walk again not the best but walking. Still having problems with lt upper extremity but I am very determined to be "my" normal. Again my best of wishes for you!

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted 12 months ago

I am glad to find out you are no longer taking the Plavix and Coumadin together as that is a very powerful combination. It is good they switched you to the aspirin with the Coumadin instead. I would guess the bruising is now much less. I hope your follow-up is what it should be, good luck

Polar bear family 2  Christine Arnott - (36) - posted 12 months ago

The bruising is almost non existent, except of course when I bang myself on something. Even then not that bad. I am sorry you got the stroke after the operation for your valve, obviously they needed you on anti coagulation but didn't do it. Grrrrrrrrrrrr I love your attitude, you will be back to normal I am sure of it. I only had TIA'S but they were enough to scare me, so do not want to experience the real thing.

Reply to Christine Arnott

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted 11 months ago

So... how was your follow up visit?