Black lambo  Keegan wrote 6 months ago

Hi, we are having to give our 12 year old son 17.5 mg 4 days a week, and 15 mg 3 days a week. His last check was 2.0. We're watching diet but can't keep his his INR therapeutic. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted 6 months ago

Haven't heard back from you. Are you still there?
I have found a very good website: Pt/INR.com. Go here, on the left you will see "food interactions" and other informative information. You will also see"vitamin k finder" on the top middle of the site page. Just another avenue with information besides INR tracker. Let us know what's happening

Black lambo  Keegan - (48) - posted 6 months ago

The website is better than what I've been looking at and limiting veggies to one meal is a lot easier to manage. Thank you, from mom.

INR levels yesterday were 2.2. Surgery was June 10th, still have to see the doc 3 x's a week. Doing better though.

Reply to Keegan

Fantasy avatar 7  Jaci - (11) - posted 6 months ago

Cindy thanks for the list this one is excellent and I sent it to my clinician.

Reply to Jaci

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted 6 months ago

Glad you find it worthwhile too, but I was actually sending this to Keegan. I am wondering if she is still interested?

Fantasy avatar 7  Jaci - (11) - posted 6 months ago

Keegan, watching his dark green veggies is a must since he is on a rather high dosage but his metabolism is probably a lot higher than us old folks who are taking it. 2.0 is considered therapeutic. At his age and on coumadin I am assuming that he has had a heart valve replacement? What does his doctor want for a therapeutic range? 2.0-3.0 or 2.5 to 3.5? If he is taking vitamins check to see how much Vit K they contain. There are also some really good lists out there of foods and their Vitamin K levels. Go over these with your son so that he knows what to look for. Allow him as much control as possible with his food choices but he has to understand how important it is to make sure that his INR remains where it needs to be.

When coumadin is first begun it is difficult to remain steady for about the first 3-4 weeks. His body has to adjust to the medicine, especially if he is bridging off of Lovenox or other injectable blood thinner, but once he does and he watches what he eats he should do just fine. Good luck to you guys!!!

Jaci

Reply to Jaci

Black lambo  Keegan - (48) - posted 6 months ago

Didn't even think of the metabolism issue. INR needs to be between 2.0 and 2.3 and he no longer takes a daily vitamin. The folks at Seattle Children's had a bit of a fit about it. Thanks for the help.

Reply to Keegan

Black lambo  Keegan - (48) - posted 6 months ago

We've started a food log with vit. K tracker. We've gone off greens because Keegan seems to be overly sensitive to them. We tried doing 1 cup greens and his INR would not go above 1.2. Maybe when we get therapeutic (2.0 - 3.0) for awhile we'll try again. Keegs is profoundly autistic so we have some control over his diet. We do let him pick out foods when we shop but with the cumadin we control when he gets it and how much he gets. Keegan was born with a bad aortic heart valve. Had his first surgery when he was 5 days old. Bio valves are awful, at least for Keegs. This last time he was finally big enough for a mechanical valve. Yeah!
We've been working on the helpful tips people have left. His INR was 2.2 on yesterday and the one before was 2.3. Thank you for the help.

Reply to Keegan

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted 6 months ago

I try to limit my veggies to dinner time only, then I can usually eat what I want for breakfast and lunch without my INR jumping all around. Just keep veggie mcg the same. I used to really only like fresh veggies but find it is easier for me when I stick with drained canned veggies. Measuring my intake is easier this way. For instance: Canned baked beans are 2mcg per cup. Canned green beans are 13.4 mcg/cup, drained. Canned carrots are 14.3/cup, drained.I usually have the same amount of mcg daily. I take 12.5 mg of warfarin daily. I find this works for me. Weds is ordered pizza night for me and I can have 3 slices and be safe. Also, Luckily I like peanut butter and preserve sandwiches(very low in mcgs). Hope this helps. Why is he on the warfarin?

Black lambo  Keegan - (48) - posted 6 months ago

Keegan was born with a bad heart valve. First surgery, he was 5 days old. Has had multiple valve replacements. He was finally big enough this last time to get a mechanical valve. This valve is sooooo much better. He has other medical problems that require meds. Which makes things harder. I've got to teach myself how to manage the meds well enough so I can control all of them. Lots to learn. Thanks again for the awesome tips.

Reply to Keegan

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted 4 months ago

How is he doing?

Black lambo  Keegan - (48) - posted 4 months ago

Hi, he's doing better. His INR was a little on the high side recently but returned to normal quickly. Other than that his INR has been therapeutic since I posted here and got some practical advice. It was so overwhelming before. Wish the info from his doc had come with this kind of how-to. Thank you again.

Reply to Keegan

Black lambo  Keegan - (48) - posted 6 months ago

Using canned veggies to help track vit. K is a great idea.

Reply to Keegan

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted about 1 month ago

How are things going now? It's been a complete months ?

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted 6 months ago

And it's a lot easier to keep track of. I believe if you look up instant oatmeal it is low too and if able you can make this with skim milk instead of water for calcium/protein. If you don't want it too hot, make in microwave with Half of the milk you'll want to use and when it dings off remove the bowl and add the rest of milk, stir and let it sit for a min or two to thicken up and it's no extra Megs w/ the "skim" milk😋

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted 6 months ago

Sorry meant mcg, damn spellcheck