Kitty in a hammock  timalan63 wrote 11 months ago

i know i should get a hold of my doctor but its going on 11:00 pm here, my INR is 1.8 what should i take tonight, or should i not take any tonight? i can never remember how that goes is it to thick or too thin? Thanks :-)

called my Heart doctor after hour service which i forgot about, waiting for them to call back and see what they said i should do. :-)

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 11 months ago

How are you getting on with your INR level now??

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 11 months ago

Also for future reference for you-
INR 1.0 normal person NOT on anticoagulants clotting time around 10 seconds
INR 2.5-3.5 your range, so clotting time around 25-35 seconds
Above that and the longer the clotting time goes until it starts to get risky (bleeding)which is generally considered INR 4.0-5.0 and above.
Warfarin does not affect the viscosity of your blood, they just explain it that way because it's meant to be easier to understand, when they say it's thin thats a high INR and when it's considered too thick thats an INR lower than your target range ie INR 1.8 .

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 11 months ago

You did mean your INR is INR 1.8 and not INR 18 as in your title???

If it's INR 18 it is extremely high!!?? Do you do home testing with a coaguchek or such like? why are you on warfarin?? mechanical mitral valve perhaps??

Kitty in a hammock  timalan63 - (66) - posted 11 months ago

sorry it was 1.8, i got hold of doctor and they had me take 2 mg for a week i rechecked it now its 2.2, now i take again 2mg for another week then check it on december 26th. i have 2 artificial valves mitral and aortic. i had it done at UPMC IN PITTSBURGH ON FEB. 4TH 1985 By Dr. Bartley Paul Griffith and was assissant or however its spelled by Dr. Alfredo Trento, Rodney Dangerfield and Florence Henderson to name a few also had him as a Doctor.

Reply to timalan63

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 11 months ago

Ok that's sounding better, I have a mechanical aortic so I know how important it is to be in range. 1985 that's a while ago, do you have St Jude valves? My father has a St Jude also since 1984 for rheumatic fever. Mine was because of a bicuspid valve and is just a baby at 2 years old :-). Hope they get you back up over 2.5 where you need to be. Have a great Christmas!!

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 11 months ago

Yes I would definately take your warfarin dose tonight!! As your range is 2.5- 3.5 , an INR of 1.8 is quite low but not a biggie yet, the longer it stays down in this range the more the risk of a blood clot increases, so unless you self manage your dosing then I would take my normal dose asap and contact your doctor in the morning.