Flower red  leslie02feb wrote almost 2 years ago

I had two open heart surgeries for mitral valve replacement in 3 weeks because of the Choreae tendineae cord that wrapped around one of the leaflets so it couldn't open right. My cardiologist recommended that my INR should be between 3.0 and 3.5.

Black lambo  tronix6969 - - posted over 1 year ago

My thoracic surgeon wants mine at 1.7 to 2.5, I had an aortic valve replacement, On-X.

New to this website, new to my valve. Had it replaced on 01-29-16, started my warfarin on Sunday after my surgery.

I am just trying to get a grip of the do's and don't see and it makes me depressed sometimes. I feel I can't do this then another part of me says, hang in there, you can.

Could use some advice please.

Thanks

Reply to tronix6969

Aston martin mid air  Eselpee - - posted over 1 year ago

I have the OnX too (7/28/15). The cardiothoracic surgeon (Albuquerque) mentioned that due to the coating on that valve, lower INR provides no greater risk of stroke with less risk of bleeding.

I then saw a team (USM Portland) that had just replicated the study with similar results.

I have not read the oriental article, but it is:

The article is: Reduced anticoagulation after mechanical aortic valve replacement: Interim results from the Prospective Randomaized On-X Valve Anticoagulation Clinical Trial randomized Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption trial. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Volume 147, Issue 4, April 2014, Pages 1202-1211.e2

Reply to Eselpee

1966 shelby mustang  Knightwolf61 - - posted over 1 year ago

If you had aortic valve replaced with mechanical valve you might want to check with your surgeon. Mine wants my INR to be 2.5-3.5. My INR got to 1.8 once and I had a stroke. Don't let it get too low. Ask about a home INR monitor where you can check it yourself weekly. I don't think 1.7-2.5 sounds right for you...Good luck

Reply to Knightwolf61

1966 shelby mustang  AussieGuy85 - - posted over 1 year ago

My surgeon insisted on that INR range also.

Reply to AussieGuy85

Baby goose kitten  Darren - - posted over 1 year ago

Where do you get a home INR monitor , last time we checked on getting one, it was over 300 after the insurance . That was when we had insurance, now it's just Medicaid.

Reply to Darren

Fantasy avatar 7  Jaci - (12) - posted over 1 year ago

I also use Allere. I have a Coaguchek by Roche. Mine was free. check with Roche and see if they have a patient assistance program. If they do they determine if they can give you a machine for free. I do have to pay for my reagents but that is only $66.00 every 2 to 3 months depending on how many times I test. You can also call Allere and talk to them about the costs.

Reply to Jaci

1966 shelby mustang  Knightwolf61 - - posted over 1 year ago

Darren... My cardiologist set it up through my insurance (Aetna) through a company called Alere. It's so much more convenient than going to my cardiologists office once every week or two. Ask your cardiologist about which company you can use with Medicaid or Medicare. Good Luck.

Reply to Knightwolf61

Aston martin mid air  Eselpee - - posted over 1 year ago

the alere INRatio and INRatio2 PT/INR Monitor system was recalled for certain conditions - you should check on this.

Reply to Eselpee

Sweet rabbits  Steves11 - - posted over 1 year ago

I got a Aortic valve replaced, mechanical; doctors want me around the 2.7 range

Reply to Steves11

Bugatti silver black  bethpfeiffer - - posted over 1 year ago

I also had my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve, doctors want me between 2-3 but closer to 3..around 2.7 too.
I am only 51. I am struggling with the do's and don'ts of what food is high in vitamin K. Any suggestions out there!?

Reply to bethpfeiffer

Brachiosaurus  regsguy - - posted over 1 year ago

INRTracker has a Vitamin K Food Database. Home page click "foods". Scroll down and you will see the database.
The trick to find two databases that match. I use http://nutritiondata.self.com/ as well. Best of luck and health.

Reply to regsguy