Flower orange  snetherda wrote 16 days ago

I have a CoaguChek INR test unit at home. I do weekly checks. The issue is I can't always get the strip to suck in the blood for the test. I know I'm consistent in doing what I do but like today it failed three times. this is not the first time it's happened to me. Any suggestions on how to get better at helping the machine or the machine helping me? Appreciate your replies.

Wolf  DRG - - posted 8 days ago

I use the same rubber constriction bands they use in Doctors offices and hospitals when they take a blood sample from your arm---cut it in half so it's a more convenient length then wrap it around your finger as a tourniquet just after you insert the strip into the CoaguChek. I have not had a failed test since I started doing that and I had the same problem as you before that. My worst attempt took four stips because there just wasn't enough blood and I had done all the standard finger massaging and warm water tricks. The tourniquet worked wonders

Reply to DRG

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 16 days ago

Also by failed I assume you mean error 5 not enough blood?
I had one strip a few weeks ago that after I put the blood on didnt register it and just continued the countdown, clearly a faulty strip.

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 16 days ago

Also I have found running your finger under warm water and then drying off immediately before testing can help produce a bigger blood drop.

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 16 days ago

I use to dab it on the strip and I got quite a few error 5s not enough blood.
If you hold the side of the strip onto the blood drop rather than dabbing it on top the capillary action sucks it in, I have found this way even a drop that was previously too small dabbing it now seems to get sucked up and I havnt had error 5 for a few yrs

Flower red  TonyRoberts - (21) - posted 6 days ago

I had the same experience... at first, my intuition was to dab it directly on top of the strip. Best thing to do is hold it to the side and allow the blood to be drawn in. Blood drop should be at least "lady bug" sized. Good luck to you.

Reply to TonyRoberts