Aston martin mid air  lobbrfun wrote almost 2 years ago

I've been trying so hard to watch what my Dad eats and his INR fluctuates from 1.5-3.1. He exercises quite a bit to the point of a lot perspiration. He takes his coumadin at 7pm, never misses! I'm so confused. He stays away from all greens, blueberries, limits tomato sauce, grapes, peaches. Eats baked potatoes, corn, chicken, crab, salmon, pork loin, hamburger. He had lived a very sedentary life in PA but since has moved to FL and is very active! Any suggestions?

Porsche 911 gt2  Tony - (49) - posted almost 2 years ago

Have been taking warfarin about 3 months for a DVT and pe confused what I can and can't eat is ice cream ok turkey ok do I stay away from soy bean any suggestion

Reply to Tony

Wolf  Pavan - - posted almost 2 years ago

Hey Tony, plain vanilla ice cream has very little vitamin k in it (around 2 mcg of vitamin k while the daily recommended amount vitamin k by the USDA is 90 mcg).

A cup of cooked turkey has around 6 mcg of vitamin k.

A cup of cooked soy beans however have more vitamin k - around 30 mcg.

Still, these foods don't have much vitamin k.

A cup of cooked kale has over 1000 mcg of vitamin k (over 10 times what is recommended by the USDA).

I suggest you take a look here:

Reply to Pavan

Wolf  Pavan - - posted almost 2 years ago

Hey your dad seems like he's a very careful man. That's great to hear! I can only hope my parents are as careful.

Exercise increases a person's metabolism which may decrease the time warfarin lives in the body, hence lower INRs. That could be the cause of your dad's INRs being lower than 2.

Here's a study from the government backing what I just said: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15107008

What's your dad's target INR range set by his doctor?

Bringing the above study to his doctor's attention can help his doctor make better dosage decisions for the days your dad exercises.

Also, has your dad taken any new drugs or supplements? I can look up the interactions for you :)

Reply to Pavan

Aston martin mid air  lobbrfun - (39) - posted almost 2 years ago

His target is between 2.0-3.0.

Thanks for the info concerning exercise. In PA he is very sedentary and no real fluctuation with INR readings but here in Florida where he is very busy, never sitting still, he has large swings and getting under control has taken months. Seems like we're on track now. thanks again!

Oh, to answer you second question......no new drugs.

Reply to lobbrfun

Wolf  Pavan - - posted almost 2 years ago

Thanks for updating us :)

Glad you're dad is getting on track! That's great news.

Something else to keep in mind is that sunlight contains vitamin d, and you can get a lot if you stay out in the sun. I used a sunlight vitamin d calculator with a focus on florida on a non cloudy day and it said that in 4 minutes one can get up to 25 mcg of vitamin D from sunlight.

Now, the ineraction between vitamin D and warfarin isn't great, but if your dad is getting large amounts of vitamin D into his system, that may be impacting his therapy. It's something to bring up to the doctor.

Reply to Pavan