White lion yawn  slick0893 wrote over 2 years ago

my blood is to thin, my inr is 4.0, is it ok to eat some cole slaw?

Wolf  Pavan - - posted over 2 years ago

From the food database here it shows that coleslaw has 85+ mcg of vitamin k.

Even though coleslaw has a decent amount of vitamin k, in moderation it should be fine. Don't eat a ton of it.

Based off of the above page, if you experience an unusual or severe headache, a severe stomach ache, prolonged menstrual bleeding,
a nosebleed, vomiting blood, bleeding from the gums, blood in urine, bloody or dark stool

then you should seek immediate help. The sooner the better. It could end up being nothing, but it could be signs of internal bleeding.

Reply to Pavan

White lion yawn  slick0893 - (8) - posted over 2 years ago

thank you. I did eat some cole slaw, thought it would be ok because I was so thin. get my inr checked tomorrow.

Reply to slick0893

Wolf  Pavan - - posted over 2 years ago

That's great you're getting your inr checked. Keeping regular tabs of your inr when you're trying new things (food, medicine) will let your doctor figure out potential changes in your warfarin dosages before your INR gets out of control.

As a patient, it's important to be aware of everything (vitamin k in foods, changes in medicine you're taking). It'll not only give you the feeling of control, but it'll also let you speak to medical professionals at an intelligent level, which will ultimately give you the best care.

I'd play through our vitamin k quizzes to learn quickly: http://inrtracker.com/articles/quizzes/vitamin-k-quiz-1-easy

Reply to Pavan

White lion yawn  slick0893 - (8) - posted over 2 years ago

got my inr checked yesterday and after they changed my warfarin dosage last week and after eating the cole slaw, my inr was 2.8. my target range is 2.5-3.5. im relieved to have a good number again. thank you for replying, its really nice to be able to talk to someone about this. I always check vitamin k content in food and what medicine will alter inr. the Coumadin clinic said they wish everyone took it as serious as me. warfarin is nothing to take lightly.

Reply to slick0893

Wolf  Pavan - - posted over 2 years ago

Congratulations! That's great to hear. You're a model patient :)

Reply to Pavan