Fantasy avatar 7  vz16d6 wrote 10 months ago

I am currently on warfarin 5mg/day and wonder how much vitamin K can I consume daily?

Brachiosaurus  Abby - - posted 9 months ago

Hi there, I have a mechanical heart valve and have been on warfarin for 16 years - and will be for life. In my experience, you don't need to measure out every mcg of Vitamin K you have, you just need to have a good idea of how much you're having - and that takes time to learn, like any new diet. When I started taking warfarin, they said stick to 1/2 a cup of greens a day. But, if you want to have more than that, just make sure (as someone else said earlier) that you're consistent with how much you have. As long as you're within your therapeutic range, the amount of warfarin can be adjusted to account for your lifestyle - rather than the other way round. Hope that helps :)

Reply to Abby

Fantasy avatar 7  Jaci - (11) - posted 10 months ago

I go by what we use to call the "green rule" If you want to eat greens remain consistent throughout the week. I found a really great list of how much K is in about 400 kinds of foods, nuts, etc. This has helped me more than anything to keep an eye on my K. Remember that if you take a daily vitamin or begin taking one check to see how much is in that as well. The amount you can eat will depend upon how stable your INR's are and how muck K your clinician tells you not to go over. I am very blessed in that I can eat quite a lot of mcg's of Vit. K before it affects my coumadin levels. Here is very self explanatory listing of veggies for the most part. www.coumadin.bmscustomerconnect.com they also have listings of fruits as well. Good luck and don't be afraid, it isn't all that bad.

Reply to Jaci

Fantasy avatar 7  vz16d6 - (12) - posted 10 months ago

Thank you Jaci for the info's. I just started on mine since August 6, 2016.. plan is for 3 months only.. I have been followed the booklet that the hospital gave us for green leaf intake... Quiet a hassle... but better than nothing.

Reply to vz16d6

Fantasy avatar 7  Jaci - (11) - posted 10 months ago

Why did you begin the coumadin in the first place? DVT? I would seriously discuss with your physician longer than 3 months.

Reply to Jaci

Fantasy avatar 5  Richard A Krayewsky - (85) - posted 10 months ago

I switched to Warfarin three weeks ago mainly to eat grapefruit. The subject of greens came up (via.K) and was told I can eat greens but keep it consistant. Salad one night, broccoli the next, green beans, salad etc. Has anyone heard of this or is on this type of diet.

Reply to Richard A Krayewsky

Fantasy avatar 7  vz16d6 - (12) - posted 10 months ago

Thank you... I have advised something like that... but still unsure how much...

Reply to vz16d6

Fantasy avatar 7  Jaci - (11) - posted 10 months ago

Richard, I have been on coumadin for over 6 years now for massive PE's to my lungs after 2 consecutive DVT's in my left leg. Yes, you will be on this for life. I am a retired doctor and am one who prefers to take control of my dosing. I was up and down for about the first year and at the same time it seemed that they were adjusting my dosage every time I tested. I decided that I could do it better and established my own dosage. I have been steady, aside from 2 screw-ups on my part for over 18 months now. I run between 2.4 and 2.6 on average. Since I have been this stable I am stretching my testing out to every 6 -8 weeks. I also test at home. I have my own machine and I buy my strips. If I find that I am bruising excessively I will test myself, otherwise I take my test and call my clinician with the results. I hated the Lovenox and told them where they could put it unless it was absolutely necessary. Lovenox is usually used to bridge someone off of or onto coumadin and then stopped. It will get easier I promise.

Reply to Jaci

Puppy sleep  Cindy in nj - (4) - posted 8 months ago

You provide a wealth of info, thanks. I am going to check the coumadinbms website now. Thanks!!!b

Fantasy avatar 7  Jaci - (11) - posted 8 months ago

Thank you so much....My dad told me that might retire but I will always be a doctor and want to help people. I won't give out medical advice but if I can help anyone on their journey I will try ;)

Reply to Jaci