Baby goose kitten  Dharanidhar P wrote 2 months ago

I have been sober for the last 3 months, as I was using blood thinners. Is it okay for me to have 2 beers (Corona) now, during a party, or should it be completely avoided? Does the consumption of beer affect the INR levels? I have been through an article on the internet, that the beer intake leads to lower INR levels, resulting in bleeding. Is that true?

Fantasy avatar 2  Olivia Whitfield - (88) - posted 2 months ago

I do not consume any alcoholic beverage!

Reply to Olivia Whitfield

Flower blue  ronno1976 - (32) - posted 2 months ago

I test weekly. If I overdo it on the booze, I up my green veggie intake to even it out. I am pretty consistent with my INR.

Reply to ronno1976

Baby goose kitten  Dharanidhar P - (12) - posted 2 months ago

That is awesome! I take that you have the booze and the greens calculated out on certain amounts, to maintain the INR consistency right?

Reply to Dharanidhar P

Flower red  TonyRoberts - (20) - posted 2 months ago

For what it's worth, I have been taking warfarin for over 3.5 years now. I test each and every week. I enjoy beer, wine and whiskey. Not to excess. In my experience, enjoying a couple of Corona will not have an adverse effect on your INR.

Reply to TonyRoberts

Baby goose kitten  Dharanidhar P - (12) - posted 2 months ago

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience Tony! Much appreciated! :)

Reply to Dharanidhar P

Flower red  TonyRoberts - (20) - posted 2 months ago

I am an engineer by training and I almost drove myself crazy trying to calculate out amounts of vitamin K in my diet and adapt my Warfarin. My best advice to you is to eat a heart healthy diet as best you can, get your exercise, and test your INR to match your Warfarin dose to your daily lifestyle you enjoy. Even doing this, if you are new to Warfarin, you will have ups and downs anyway as your body adjusts. It can take more than a year in my experience even with best efforts. I wouldn't spend my life doing math formulas. Have a beer once in a while or a giant hamburger, or salad whatever you enjoy, live your life after all. Here in Canada, a test strip cost less than $10. Small price to pay for my piece of mind on my dosage. Best of luck to you.

Reply to TonyRoberts

Baby goose kitten  Dharanidhar P - (12) - posted about 2 months ago

Thanks a ton for sharing your experience again Tony- that is really helpful! And yes- I am new to warfarin and have been using this for about 2 months.

What is your experience/ suggestion about smoking cigarettes/ usage of marijuana while using warfarin? Any advice on that please?

Reply to Dharanidhar P

Wolf  DRG - - posted about 2 months ago

With Warfarin the key is moderation. You can have a beer or two......just don't pound back 6 or 7. The same goes for greens. A serving of salad is OK, just don't eat the entire serving bowl. I've been dealing with Warfarin since April 2015 and the first year had some wild swings. I started recording everything I eat to try to figure out why and now I do that daily........ I never thought I would but I do and I understand that routine is not for everyone. Last year I started using cronometer to track my food intake/calories. Cronometer uses mainly lab analysis results for food so I now see how much Vitiman K is in the food I eat and I have set a minimum and maximum for my Vit K intake along with a min and max for alcohol and now my INR's don't take wild swings any more.

Reply to DRG

Flower red  TonyRoberts - (20) - posted about 2 months ago

You're most welcome. I have never smoked cigarettes and have no experience with the effect of cigarettes on INR. Cannabis was legalized almost a year ago in Canada and I think next month things like edibles will be legalized. I have never tried either but I was reading an article recently that said THC would impact warfarin users by increasing the potency of warfarin and therefore increase INR. So if you are a user, you may find it harder to regulate your INR. I have no direct experience, just the recent article I read. I would speak to your doctor to feel certain.

Reply to TonyRoberts