Baby goose kitten  Dharanidhar P wrote 12 days ago

I have been sober for the last 3 months, as I was using blood thinners. Is it okay for me to have 2 beers (Corona) now, during a party, or should it be completely avoided? Does the consumption of beer affect the INR levels? I have been through an article on the internet, that the beer intake leads to lower INR levels, resulting in bleeding. Is that true?

Fantasy avatar 2  Olivia Whitfield - (86) - posted 10 days ago

I do not consume any alcoholic beverage!

Reply to Olivia Whitfield

Flower blue  ronno1976 - (35) - posted 11 days ago

I test weekly. If I overdo it on the booze, I up my green veggie intake to even it out. I am pretty consistent with my INR.

Reply to ronno1976

Baby goose kitten  Dharanidhar P - (15) - posted 10 days ago

That is awesome! I take that you have the booze and the greens calculated out on certain amounts, to maintain the INR consistency right?

Reply to Dharanidhar P

Flower red  TonyRoberts - (43) - posted 12 days ago

For what it's worth, I have been taking warfarin for over 3.5 years now. I test each and every week. I enjoy beer, wine and whiskey. Not to excess. In my experience, enjoying a couple of Corona will not have an adverse effect on your INR.

Reply to TonyRoberts

Baby goose kitten  Dharanidhar P - (15) - posted 10 days ago

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience Tony! Much appreciated! :)

Reply to Dharanidhar P

Flower red  TonyRoberts - (43) - posted 10 days ago

I am an engineer by training and I almost drove myself crazy trying to calculate out amounts of vitamin K in my diet and adapt my Warfarin. My best advice to you is to eat a heart healthy diet as best you can, get your exercise, and test your INR to match your Warfarin dose to your daily lifestyle you enjoy. Even doing this, if you are new to Warfarin, you will have ups and downs anyway as your body adjusts. It can take more than a year in my experience even with best efforts. I wouldn't spend my life doing math formulas. Have a beer once in a while or a giant hamburger, or salad whatever you enjoy, live your life after all. Here in Canada, a test strip cost less than $10. Small price to pay for my piece of mind on my dosage. Best of luck to you.

Reply to TonyRoberts