Sweet rabbits  Clifford wrote 6 months ago

I have just made a chicken curry for my husband who is in 5mg of warfarin daily - I wasn't thinking and put two tablespoons of coriander/cunin powder into it - is this safe??

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 6 months ago

There is a very good page on this right here on this site-
So 1.84 tablespoons is roughly 1/2 the recommended daily intake of vit K. From what I read it is not considered a good vit K source. In general some people seem to be really sensitive to vit K intake and others seem to breeze thru with little or no noticeable effect.. genetics... :-).
So I would suspect that it would have little affect when eaten as part of a balanced diet, I don't think I would notice little change if any in my INR if I ate that, and I self test weekly.
I assume since it was 19 hours ago you posted its been eaten and was delicious ?? :-):-)

Sweet rabbits  Clifford - - posted 6 months ago

Hi Warrick, thank you for replying!! Yes, the curry was delicious!
We are living in South Africa and it doesn't seem that we have any INR trackers dealing with South African food. I think this website is fantastic but there are a lot of foods which we eat that are not on the lists as it's mostly American food and I'm finding it a bit confusing being a newby at this and trying hard to keep hubby's Vit K intake on an even keel. Didn't do too well last visit to the hospital - 4.5!! I would love to get a home test kit but nobody seems to know what I'm talking about, however, I've seen them on e-bay so that's my next stop, at least I can keep track on a weekly basis. Thanks again!

Reply to Clifford

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 6 months ago

Hi curious on the high INR, has your hubby been on warfarin long? Was he taking any other medications (either prescription especially antibiotics, over the counter or herbal?) at the time? a change in his dosing from his doctor? Increased alcohol intake? A big change in his usual diet? Other illness? In general these are the things that will cause large fluctuations in INR in a short space of time.

Sweet rabbits  Clifford - - posted 6 months ago

Yes, I think he had one too many beers over the weekend...no more beers!

Reply to Clifford

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 6 months ago

Hi I use a Coaguchek XS and I find it very easy to use, I self test weekly and buy my own strips, I manage my own dosing and have found that with recording your INR and dosing each week I am able to look back on my history and repeat dosing's when I do have an INR out of range, which has been a few times in the last few months due to illness. I can have an INR at 3.5 on a Friday, alter my dose a few mg for 2 days , be back in range on the Sunday at 2.5 and continue with my normal dose of 9mg a day and be in range for several weeks after that. Self testing takes the hassle out of it, you don't have to drive somewhere, and its a finger prick , results are right there, and takes a few minutes once a week. It does take a bit to get the hang of (like wasted strips if you don't have a big enough blood drop... =frustrating), but its very easy, there's a lot of good demos on youtube that you can see what's involved, just look for Coaguchek. I find the mantra "dose the diet" works well for me and with weekly testing you pickup anything that's heading a wee bit astray up or down.

Sweet rabbits  Clifford - - posted 6 months ago

I will definatley look out for a Coaguchek on e bay. He had a better result this week 2.75 (no beer) but I would still like to check him on a weekly basis. Thanks again for your interest!

Reply to Clifford