Iam killer dog  Sophrosyne wrote 4 months ago

I have a blood clot in my leg, thanks to a broken ankle, which is still healing. I've been hearing conflicting things about exercise though. 1) Exercise is good, because it helps the calf muscles work to reabsorb the clot. 2) Exercise is bad, because it could dislodge the clot.

I'm not sure which way to go with this. Also, once you're on warfarin, and your INR is in levels, are you still at risk for your blood clot killing you? Or are you on your way to being rid of it?

Fantasy avatar 1  IPW133 - (30) - posted 4 months ago

I've been told that the clot is not reabsorbed but endothelial cells grow over the clot which narrows the vein (by a haematologist). Exercise in moderation which is approved by a GP/Medic or Physio can be benefitial, but ONLY under advisement.

Reply to IPW133

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 4 months ago

Ok , I thought the endothelial lining which is the lining of the blood vessel coats it which was absorbing it. From here- http://www.clotconnect.org/patients/faq-frequently-asked-questions/when-will-my-clot-and-pain-go-away “When will my clot and pain go away?” is a question commonly asked following diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or pulmonary embolism (PE).

Blood-thinners themselves do not dissolve the clot. The body naturally absorbs a blood clot over the course of several weeks to months and the symptoms which accompanied the blood clot gradually improve and often eventually disappear.

Most patients with DVT or PE recover within several weeks to months without significant complications or long-term effects.

In some patients, the clot never goes away completely: about half of the patients with DVT will have left-over (residual) clot if a follow-up Doppler ultrasound is done 6 months after the acute clot. This is not a clot that can break off, but rather scar tissue within the blood vessel. Because other blood vessels take over and bypass the narrowed or damaged veins, patients are often without symptoms, even if they do have left-over damage at the area where the DVT was.

The risk of clot breaking off and forming a PE is mostly present in the first few days, up to approximately 4 weeks, while the clot is still fresh and fragile and not scarred. Some people have chronic (long-term) problems after a clot due to damage done when the clot formed and partly due to the chronic obstruction from left-over clot, i.e. scar tissue.

Fantasy avatar 1  IPW133 - (30) - posted 4 months ago

According to the Haematologist. The endothelial cells grow over the clot in time and entomb it. The body then converts the (now sub-endothelial) clot with scar tissue. The body will reabsorb the blood proteins but the scar tissue is perminant. The narrowed vein then distends to censure the blood flow is not impeded. Until this happens the clot is 'at risk' of becoming detached, and travelling around the body.

The entombment may be dependant on the clot size or not, the Haematologist wasn't specific about it. I asked about absorption. He said no. You have to decide what you believe for yourself.

Reply to IPW133

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 4 months ago

Yes thats fine , I'm not disputing what your Haematologist said at all :-), that's their bread and butter after all, there's that many complex processes happening just with blood it's hard to know where to begin :-), it's just by the very nature by definition of the word absorption, isn't that whats happening ?
I guess not in haematologist speak LOL

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 4 months ago

Also just for curiosities sake if you don't mind when you have an INR test do you you have a full blood draw or do they use a finger stick test ?

Fantasy avatar 1  IPW133 - (30) - posted 4 months ago

Mine is a finger stick, but there may be other trsts being carried out. Are you having both? I did because they weren't sure the finger prick test was accurate in my case.

Reply to IPW133

Iam killer dog  Sophrosyne - (60) - posted 4 months ago

They use a finger stick. And it's ridiculously painful. They said it was because they use a type of stick that has dull needles instead of sharp needles. But I also think it's placement and depth as well, because one of the pharmacists can do it without pain, but the other two make me want to do it myself. You'd think they'd be trained better.

Reply to Sophrosyne

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 4 months ago

Yep, the single use ones certainly hurt more, they go deeper and i think are a bigger gauge needle. Side of the finger tip is best i reckon. Some stabbers are certainly better than others.. :-). Might i ask what country you are in? I didn't think that pharmacy testing was very common in many countries. When i use my own lancet its more like a pin prick.

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 4 months ago

Hi again, warfarin won't remove or disolve the clot, your body will absorb it eventually. Warfarin only prevents new clots being formed. I think if the clot (you might want to ask your doctor though :-)) is in your limbs there is a low risk it can travel, like DVT I guess. Before I had valve surgery I had to have a angiogram which was a tube put in my radial artery so they could squirt dye into my heart, well a week later my arm was in agony and an ultrasound showed it was full of blood clots from the damage the tube caused (they were pretty rough pulling it out to say the least), the blocked blood flow pressure was the painfull bit. They put me on dabigatran (another anticoagulant) and it came right eventually, I think it was months rather than days or weeks tho

Iam killer dog  Sophrosyne - (60) - posted 4 months ago

:-O That sounds like malpractice. They should know better -- and be able to do that better. Leaving you full of blood clots because they ripped the tube out instead of easing it out? That's just so wrong.

Reply to Sophrosyne

Brachiosaurus  warrick - (1) - posted 4 months ago

Yep, it was in there for an hour so was pretty stuck, they had to give me another local before they could pull it out because it hurt like heck... , you sign a release before it including consenting to heart surgery then and there if something goes wrong.... fun times... not!