Panther  maggiemay wrote 8 months ago

I have been taking warfarin for over 25 years, and have always watched my diet, and avoiding the high vitamin K foods. I stick to a regular diet, I do not smoke or drink, never have, and am proof that it is possible to remain well everything in moderation is key. I wish you all well, and can say that although my life has been tied to INR testing for the last 25 years, it is possible to stay reasonably healthy. I am now 85 years young, and have been self testing for the last 10 years generally every one to two weeks, I get support regarding my dosage.

Flower red  TonyRoberts - (30) - posted 8 months ago

Thank you for this positive post maggiemay. I'm 48 and I've been taking warfarin for just over 3 years after a mitral valve replacement. I've been self testing since day one and this site has been very helpful in tracking my progress. I agree with what you said. There are many things in life that we can't control but diet, exercise, and maintaining your INR in a therapeutic range are things that we do have control over. One day I hope to see 85 as well!

Reply to TonyRoberts

Panther  maggiemay - (42) - posted 8 months ago

I had my 86th birthday yesterday, and recently I have had to test my INR three daily, just to keep it within the theraputic range for my aortic valve, as being on antibiotics for a chest infection does interfere with the work of the warfarin. During the time I have had the aortic valve I have had dental treatment, but even now I still have my very own teeth, which I have cared for every six months. It is very important to keep your teeth and mouth healthy. About six years ago I had to have the sternal wires removed, they were causing problems, that was more painful than the heart surgery, they had to be removed because they had become unstable. I was advised at the beginning to keep an eye on my diet, and not take any kind of vitamins etc that one can buy from the health food shops. My life has not been altered in any way I still enjoyed my life and my hobbies etc, even more so after my life was saved, I was told at the time I only had weeks to live if the surgeon had not operated when he did. I am glad that you are well and thank you for reading about my life. Margaret

Reply to maggiemay

Eagle  ste259 - - posted 8 months ago

MAY I ASK IF YOU HAVE ANY SIDE EFEECTS BY TAKING WARFARIN?SORRY AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY

Reply to ste259

Eagle  DougC - - posted 5 months ago

I have been on warfarin since 1984 post aortic valve transplant, mechanical valve. Now 64 years old. In my experience over these years, I found warfarin to be fine meaning, the only side effect I ever feel is a little cold feet every now and then which is more circulatory than anything. The only watch outs are bleeding and clotting which means you have to try to control the causes of those things e.g., no hard bumps to the head, hard falls, car accidents, etc. Monitoring your blood is critical. I test weekly. If I am running "thick" I don't want to wait 2 weeks before finding that out. Over time if you develop eating and exercised routines you will see your trend line. I am not like most everyone here.....I drink in moderation, don't exercise much, eat pretty much what I want including salads, and other than being somewhat mindful of taking in too much Vitamin K, it hasn't changed my life at all. Its about maintaining continuity in what you eat.

Reply to DougC

Panther  maggiemay - (42) - posted 8 months ago

I have not had side effects, and over the 26 years on warfarin I have had the odd tooth extraction, four operations under general anesthetic an d I am still reasonably well for my age. I have arthritis but who hasn't at 86 years of age. I manage to keep my INR between the guidelines for my aortic mechanical valve, by eating a varied diet and not over eating the vegetables containing a lot of vitamin K. I have always taken care of myself, and am self testing with the hospital back up. My monitor coagucheck XS works very well and differs only by 0.1 to the blood clinic results and it is checked six monthly to ensure that all is well. Hope this helps in some way. No side effects as a result of taking wafarin for 26 years.

Reply to maggiemay

Puppy sleep2  maya - - posted 6 months ago

Hello, do you follow a specific diet? do you literally control the quantity of vitamin K you take? If so, do you have a specific diet program or a planned list of the food you eat every week?

Reply to maya